Friday, September 14, 2012

From one frustrated human to another.


Watching a series on History channel last night with my husband about the geological history of our planet...yes, I watch these for fun.  Since I rarely can do one thing at a time I was catching up on BBC news reports at the same time.  We get to the episode about Asteroids and commits falling to earth and they are talking about in pact craters and dust clouds and I start to think, While there is nothing one can do about a collision with an Earth sized object there IS a lot we can do about NOT blowing our selves to smithereens .
So, with all these thoughts mulling around in my brain I sat down to write this, an open letter to those feeling the need to attack our embassys and putting the innocent in danger. While it is addressed to them specifically, I think the tone and main idea could apply to all religious zealots...

Dearest Extremists,
What the Fuck?!? Do you not understand the morals of your own religion? Are you not aware that in the vast cosmos of the ( possibly) infinite there are far bigger issues than your offense?
I know, what does an atheist like me know about your offense? Well, allow me to enlighten you.  I have read your stories, along with the countless other stories of the world's religions on my own search for the truth.  What I found did, indeed, lay in the heavens.
This is my truth, and I feel it is the actual truth. We are here because rocks falling from space, coated in amino acids and the building blocks of life hit our planet at just the right time in its history, with just the right conditions for those blocks to assemble into the first signs of what would become the life on earth we now have all around us. That's it, that's the big answer.
You wonder how I can understand your offense? You quibble over stories long since proved false, you close your eyes to the truth many brilliant minds have sought out for you and you kill in the name of ancient tales.  Because of your small minds children are put at risk worldwide.
I am offended by all of you who think that your morals and your faith supersedes that facts of the physical world and that you feel the need to taint your children with your ideology and your totally lack of respect for the scientific truth of the world. As a human I am offended that in an age of reason and knowledge you choose ignorance.
I am offended, but I will not kill you for that offense, I will not force my ideas on your children no matter how much it offends me that you cast their minds into the darkness of old thinking, I will not limit your ability to pray to your god, to cover your woman or to hold your holy days.
I am not my government, as those in our embassies are not either. Those of you who recently rose up against your own leader should understand this, that not all of us are represented by one person.
If your faith means so much to you why do you not practice it as your prophet would have you? Do you not think he would be more offended by your violent actions that by a portrayal of him? From what I have studied he spoke quite highly of peace.
People are different, they will always be different and we must accept this if we hope to share this planet in peace. Let us be offended in peace. Let us post frustrated words on the internet to voice our feelings in peace. Let us espouse our feelings in blogs and leave innocent humans who have done nothing to us in PEACE. Let us be rubber, and not glue.

Be humble for you are made of Earth. Be noble for you are made of stars.
                                                                        --Syrian Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment